The ramblings of an absent-minded doctoral student

The ramblings of an absent-minded doctoral student. Chronicling my life as I earn a PhD in history.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

a fine line between sanity and...well...insanity.

So it appears that over the last couple of months I have failed to remember I have a blog. I could say that this tends to happen when one is extremely busy. And I suppose, in reality, I am really busy. But I come to find that no matter how much work I do, it never seems to feel like enough. And in the last few weeks in particular, I keep feeling like I'm just not doing...enough, whether that's working enough, reading enough, researching enough, keeping in touch with friends enough, making enough money, working out enough (this last one is primarily what's bothering me, followed closely by not reading enough). And I can't help but wonder if this is a personal issue that I'm grappling with, or whether graduate school drives us to constantly compare ourselves to others. This post almost seems semi-deja vu-ish...and perhaps it is. Do we ever reach a point where what we do, what we look like, what we accomplish IS good enough? Realistically I know that it has to be a personal decision; that I have to decide that yes, this is good enough. It's one thing to continuously strive to do better; but sometimes you just have to remember that no one is perfect. And no one ever will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment