The ramblings of an absent-minded doctoral student

The ramblings of an absent-minded doctoral student. Chronicling my life as I earn a PhD in history.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Den Haag: Day One

I.am.in.pain. Wandelen voor zeven uur was niet mijn plan! I set out this morning with the intention of finding the Peace Palace, Noordeinde Palace, the U.S. Embassy, a couple of museums, Maison de Bonneterie, and the National Archives. While I easily found Peace Palace and made my way to Noordeinde Palace & Maison de Bonneterie, I saw EVERY EMBASSY FROM AROUND THE WORLD EXCEPT ours. How crazy is that!? I even looked on Google Maps and thought I knew the route, but still didn't see it. Oh well. I also didn't find the archives, although I'm taking public transit tomorrow to get there, so *fingerscrossed* I don't get lost. I did, however, stumble across the Museum voor Communicatie (although I think it was closed), got turned around at some point and saw several churches and seemingly important buildings and statues, ended up in a neighborhood I'm not entirely certain was the best place to be, and in my attempt to find my way back, found China Town and the Theatre District. In all, I think I've seen a great deal of Den Haag already! (I would certainly hope so after wandering fairly aimlessly for seven hours.) And to calm myself after getting lost, I stopped by McDonald's to try their appel peer milkshake and learned that you have to pay €0,30 to use the bathroom (which I refused to do). But I do love international menus! Below are a few of the images I've taken so far (although I'm trying not to appear to touristy since I'm alone, so not nearly as many as when I was in the UK):

*Side note: I think my purple coat is becoming part of my international identity. It's in EVERY SINGLE PICTURE OF ME while I've been overseas.






















































No comments:

Post a Comment